POSITION: Refugee Services Division (RSD) Intern
The U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI) is a nongovernmental, not-for-profit national organization dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of refugees and immigrants. The Refugee Services Division (RSD) has two internship positions available. An internship with the RSD program provides interns with a unique viewpoint of refugee resettlement from the headquarters perspective.
USCRI is dedicated to ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship with its interns. USCRI offers interns a student-friendly environment and flexible schedule. Interns are provided opportunities to learn more about the organization and the non-profit sector and enhance their professional development through weekly Brown Bag presentations and mission-related film screenings.
• Assist in the drafting of a monthly newsletter for dissemination to network agencies
• Assist in the continued development of USCRI Learning, RSD’s online training initiative
• Assist in the review and submission of Affidavit of Relationship applications
• Assist the pre-arrival team in determining refugee network placements
• Assist in the planning of the USCRI national network conference
• Assist in compiling stories from across the Network to build USCRI’s ‘Story Catalogue’
• Provide administrative support to program staff as needed
• An interest in refugee issues, resettlement, immigration, human rights, international affairs, and related topics
• A strong work ethic, ability to work independently or as part of a team, and ability to follow direction
• Strong proof-reading, researching, and writing skills
• Computer literacy (experience with the Microsoft Office suite and database software preferred)
• Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and a sense of humor
Internships require a minimum of 20 hours per week (interns may not work more than 8 hours per day) and a 10-week commitment. The internship is located at Crystal City-Arlington, VA, 15 minutes from DC.
• Part-time (20-30 hrs. per week): up to $160 stipend per month
• Full-time (30-40): $240 stipend per month
• Local travel expenses to and from the office are also reimbursed, up to a maximum of $20 per day.
To apply for this internship, please send the following materials VIA EMAIL ONLY to email@example.com. Specify "Refugee Services Division (RSD) Internship" in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please!
• Cover letter, stating the basis for your interest in this position and why your qualifications make you the right candidate for this internship
• Writing Sample of 3 to 5 pages (this could be the introduction to a school paper, professional work for another organization, personal statement or a creative writing piece)
• Two References (names and contact information)
This internship is offered every spring, summer, and fall semester. The deadlines for each are as follows:
• Fall: Last day to apply is August 24th, Internship begins in September
• Summer: Last day to apply is May 5th, Internship begins in late May
• Spring: Last day to apply is January 2nd, Internship begins in mid-January