POSITION: Refugee Services Division (RSD) Intern
The U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI) is a nongovernmental, not-for-profit national organization dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of refugees and immigrants. The Refugee Services Division (RSD) has two internship positions available. An internship with the RSD program provides interns with a unique viewpoint of refugee resettlement from the headquarters perspective. The RSD intern will function as an adjunct RSD team member and will be expected to contribute to large-scale projects that support refugee resettlement at the national level.
USCRI is dedicated to ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship with its interns. USCRI offers interns a student-friendly environment and flexible schedule. Interns are provided opportunities to learn more about the organization and the non-profit sector and enhance their professional development through weekly Brown Bag presentations and mission-related film screenings.
Intern duties are wide-ranging and may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist in the continued roll out of USCRI Learning, RSD’s online training initiative
• Assist in developing minimum national standards for the delivery of agency Community Orientation across the USCRI network
• Assist in the review and submission of Affidavit of Relationship applications
• Assist the pre-arrival team in determining refugee network placements
• Assist in the planning of the USCRI national network conference
• Assist in the drafting of a monthly newsletter for dissemination to network agencies
• Provide administrative support to program staff as needed
• An interest in refugee issues, resettlement, immigration, human rights, international affairs, and related topics
• A strong work ethic, ability to work independently or as part of a team, and ability to follow direction
• Strong proof-reading, researching, and writing skills
• Computer literacy (experience with the Microsoft Office suite and database software preferred)
• Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and a sense of humor
• Part-time (20-30 hrs. per week): $80 stipend per month
• Full-time (30+ hrs. per week): $100 stipend per month
• Local travel expenses to and from the office are also reimbursed
To apply for this internship, please send the following materials VIA EMAIL ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify "Refugee Services Division (RSD) Internship" in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please!
• Cover letter, stating the basis for your interest in this position and why your qualifications make you the right candidate for this internship
• Writing Sample of 3 to 5 pages (this could be the introduction to a school paper, professional work for another organization, personal statement or a creative writing piece)
• Two References (names and contact information)
This internship is offered every Spring, Summer, and Fall semester. The deadlines for each are as follows:
Spring: Last day to apply is January 8, Internship begins at the end of January
Summer: Last day to apply is April 30, Internship begins in May
Fall: Last day to apply is August 31, Internship begins in September
*Internships require a minimum 10 weeks and 15 hours per week commitment. The internship is located in the Washington DC metropolitan area, Crystal City.
U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants is an equal opportunity employer.