POSITION: Government and Community Relations Intern
U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI), a nongovernmental, not-for-profit national organization dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of refugees and immigrants, seeks a Government and Community Relations Intern. One position is available working with the Director of Government and Community Relations, assisting with developing advocacy initiatives.
USCRI is dedicated to ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship with its interns.
USCRI offers interns a student-friendly environment and flexible schedule. Interns are provided opportunities to learn more about the organization and the non-profit sector and enhance their professional development through weekly Brown Bag presentations and mission-related film screenings.
• Intern duties are wide-ranging and may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Monitor immigration/refugee related legislation of interests to the organization;
• Develop material on congressional representatives by field offices/partner agencies;
• Prepare briefing packets for advocacy meetings;
• Compose advocacy alerts and letters;
• Conduct research on immigration/refugee issues of interests to the organization;
• Provide general clerical support.
• Background focusing on refugee/immigration issues and interest in advocacy.
• Knowledge of legislative processes is a plus.
• Graduate level student preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Attention to detail and ability to work independently.
• Graduate-level student strongly preferred but will consider applicants with equivalent field experience (legislative research, public policy, and advocacy).
Internships require a minimum of 20 hours per week (interns may not work more than 8 hours per day) and a 10-week commitment. The internship is located at Crystal City-Arlington, VA, 15 minutes from DC.
• Part-time (20-30 hrs. per week): up to $160 stipend per month
• Full-time (30-40): $240 stipend per month
• Local travel expenses to and from the office are also reimbursed, up to a maximum of $20 per day.
To apply for this internship, please send the following application materials VIA EMAIL ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify “Government Relations Intern” and your name in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please!
• Resume or C.V.
• Cover letter, stating the basis for your interest in this position and why your qualifications make you the right candidate for this internship;
• Two References (names and contact information only).
This internship is offered every spring, summer, and fall semester. The deadlines for each are as follows:
• Fall: Last day to apply is August 24th, Internship begins in September
• Summer: Last day to apply is May 5th, Internship begins in late May
• Spring: Last day to apply is January 2nd, Internship begins in mid-January