POSITION: Government and Community Relations Intern
U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI), a nongovernmental, not-for-profit national organization dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of refugees and immigrants, seeks a Government and Community Relations Intern. One position is available working with the Director of Government and Community Relations, assisting with developing advocacy initiatives.
USCRI is dedicated to ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship with its interns.
USCRI offers interns a student-friendly environment and flexible schedule. Interns are provided opportunities to learn more about the organization and the non-profit sector and enhance their professional development through weekly Brown Bag presentations and mission-related film screenings.
• Intern duties are wide-ranging and may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Monitor immigration/refugee related legislation of interests to the organization;
• Develop material on congressional representatives by field offices/partner agencies;
• Prepare briefing packets for advocacy meetings;
• Compose advocacy alerts and letters;
• Conduct research on immigration/refugee issues of interests to the organization;
• Provide general clerical support.
• Background focusing on refugee/immigration issues and interest in advocacy.
• Knowledge of legislative processes is a plus.
• Graduate level student preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Attention to detail and ability to work independently.
• Graduate-level student strongly preferred but will consider applicants with equivalent field experience (legislative research, public policy, and advocacy).
To apply for this internship, please send the following application materials VIA EMAIL ONLY to email@example.com. Specify “Government Relations Intern” and your name in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please!
• Resume or C.V.
• Cover letter, stating the basis for your interest in this position and why your qualifications make you the right candidate for this internship;
• Two References (names and contact information only).
This internship is offered every spring, summer, and fall semester. The deadlines for each are as follows:
• Fall: Last day to apply is August 31st, Internship begins in September
• Summer: Last day to apply is April 30th, Internship begins in May
• Spring: Last day to apply is January 31st, Internship begins in February
*Internships require a minimum 10-week commitment. The internship is located at Crystal City-Arlington, VA, 15 minutes from DC.
U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants is an equal opportunity employer.