POSITION: Communications Intern
U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI), a nongovernmental, not-for-profit national organization dedicated to addressing the needs and rights of refugees and immigrants, seeks an Intern for Communications Department to work with the Director of Communications assisting with developing and executing media and communications initiatives. There is one position available for this internship.
USCRI is dedicated to ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship with its interns. USCRI offers interns a student-friendly environment and flexible schedule. Interns are provided opportunities to learn more about the organization and the non-profit sector and enhance their professional development through weekly Brown Bag presentations and mission-related film screenings.
• Updating our news media database for general, Hispanic, multicultural and ethnic media outlets.
• Assisting with pitching stories for general, Hispanic and multicultural DMA’s (designated market areas) in the United States and overseas.
• Helping with translation (English into Spanish) of news releases, Op Ed and other related communication tools.
• Working in collaboration with the communications team as needed.
• Tracking media coverage of USCRI’s issues.
• Bilingual (Spanish and English) fluency is required
• Public relations, journalism or marketing communications college student/graduate
• Professional demeanor, solid organizational skills, good time management, ability to multi-task
• Strong work ethic and willingness to show initiative
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Experience with news writing and editing
• Solid analytical ability and Internet research skills
• Experience in using social media (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn), and interest in their use as public information/advocacy tools.
• Proficiency at MS Word 10 and Excel.
• Interest in international and domestic issues.
• Full-time (30+ hrs. per week): $100 stipend per month
• Part-time (15-30 hrs. per week): up to $80 stipend per month
• Local travel expenses to and from the office are also reimbursed
To apply for this internship, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Internship Coordinator: Only applications received via email will be considered for this position. Specify “Communications Department Intern” and your name in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please!
• Resume or C.V.
• Cover letter, stating the basis for your interest in this position and why your qualifications make you the right candidate for this internship
• Writing Sample of 3 to 5 pages (this could be the introduction to a school paper, professional work for another organization, personal statement or a creative writing piece)
• Two References (names and contact information only)
This internship is offered every spring, summer, and fall semester. The deadlines for each are as follows:
• Spring: Last day to apply is December 31st; Internship begins in January
• Summer: Last day to apply is April 30th; Internship begins in May
• Fall: Last day to apply is August 31st;, Internship begins in September
*Internships require a minimum 10 weeks and 15 hours per week commitment. The internship is located in the Washington DC metropolitan area, Crystal City.
U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants is an equal opportunity employer.