There are a variety of exciting ways you can get involved. Join us in welcoming newcomers to Vermont!
Participate in Upcoming Events >>
Volunteer to Help >>
Volunteer Position Job Descriptions >>
Group / Corporate Partnerships >>
In-Kind Donations >>
Volunteer to Help Refugees in Our Community
Resettling refugees into our community involves the dedication and generosity of many people. VRRP’s volunteers and supporters find themselves performing incredibly fulfilling tasks when they devote their time to our clients and our mission. VRRP has a number of ways that you can give of yourself to help refugees—whether you can commit to ten hours per week or ten hours per year.
Volunteers with a high degree of integrity and compassion are essential to easing refugees’ transition to self-sufficiency. Ready for a new and remarkable journey? Join other community members, businesses, and organizations by volunteering your time!
The first step is to attend a Volunteer Orientation. Volunteer Orientations are held at VRRP the second Tuesday from 12:30-1:30, and third Wednesday of each month from 5:30-6:30. You can find the complete schedule of Volunteer Orientations on our calendar. Everyone who is interested in learning more about the resettlement program is welcome to attend. No RSVP is required. If you have questions about volunteering you can contact our Community Partnership Coordinator, Laurie Stavrand at (802) 338-4633 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer opportunities include working directly with refugees or working on programs to support the refugee programs, examples follow. In addition, there are specific volunteer job available in our office that can be filled with either a volunteer or an intern. A list of those jobs and links to the job description for each is listed below. Each applicant to volunteer will complete our Application to Volunteer form. In the interest of maintaining the security of our customers and the overall organization we do background checks on all applicants. Each applicant must complete a Volunteer Background Check Authorization.
Opportunities to work directly with refugees:
- Family Friend: help newly-arrived families with adjusting to life in Vermont
- Job Search Coach: assist with résumés and practice interviewing skills
- English Tutor: assist clients in English language acquisition
Opportunities to support refugee programs:
- Administrative support: help with filing and other office tasks
- Event planning: help plan and prepare for community events
- Fundraising: organize and run a donation drive
- Picking up donations: transport larger donations to the VRRP warehouse
Volunteer and Intern Job Descriptions:
Group and Corporate Partnerships
We also have many ways that organizations can get involved in helping refugees. By understanding the scope of the US Resettlement Program and coordinating & minimizing overlaps of services, VRRP and service providers in the community can focus on their strengths and maximize their impact.
Opportunities for Companies to become involved in helping refugees:
- Provide storage space for beds, furniture, and winter clothing
- Provide space for ESL classes, workshops, and community events
- Offer services ranging from advertising VRRP events to cleaning office carpets
- Facilitate community donations of used beds and furniture
We have partnerships with ReCycle North, Ohavi Zedek Synagogue, The Possibility Shop, Bike Recycle Vermont, The O’Brien Community Center, and many others. We are looking for more organizations to partner with in order to give refugees the tools they need to become self-sufficient.
To explore potential ways you can welcome new community members, contact Laurie Stavrand at (802) 338-4627 or email@example.com.
Your in-kind donations help refugees to start their new lives on the right foot. VRRP depends entirely on donations of furniture, linens, and house wares to furnish and equip refugees’ first homes in the United States. The needs are clear and the recipients are grateful. Please contact Kapil Chapagai at (802) 338-4632 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the donations we accept. You can also download our Donations Needed form to see a full list of accepted goods. Please also spread the word to your friends about what is needed!
Needed Items Include:
- Kitchen essentials (pots, pans, dishes, glasses, silverware, etc)
- Housekeeping essentials (broom, mop, cleaning supplies)
- Pillows (new), sheets, and blankets
- Twin, full and queen size beds
- Table and chairs
- Winter jackets, boots, hats, scarves and mittens
- Gift cards to grocery or home furnishing stores
- Bus passes
See a full list of needed goods >>
We receive donations of goods at our warehouse Monday thru Friday; 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. Our warehouse is located at 462 Hegeman Avenue, Suite 101, Colchester, VT 05446. Please call (802) 338-4632 with any questions about in-kind donations.
Consider organizing a donation drive:
- Collect the small necessities of life for new refugees
- Donate supplies from your business for community events
- Throw a donation party and invite your friends to donate extra goods
*You just made a refugee smile!
View USCRI's Disclosure Statement >>